Volunteer with YFU
Thousands of volunteers and a small staff make the YFU program happen worldwide. Our volunteers are young and old, men and women, students and teachers, busy professionals and retirees. But one thing that ties them together is their drive and motivation for our organization.
- You will help introduce students from many cultures into the Canadian school life and enhance our educational system
- You will contribute to the cultural education of youth
- You have the opportunity to provide support and guidance to students and families
- You will help families, students and communities broaden their cultural awareness while they develop lifelong international friendships
- By helping promote multiculturalism, you will help us move closer to a peaceful world
- You will have the opportunity to share your personal stories about exchange to new students
- You will meet interesting people and enhance your relationships with friends, neighbors, co-workers and associates as you enable them to experience hosting or an exchange program
- You will build confidence while experiencing the value of intercultural communication
- You will develop and practice your communication, public speaking, counseling, teamwork and leadership skills, and gain valuable work experience
- You will get to know teenagers who are adventurous, eager to learn, want to make a difference and are thinking about the future
- You will have the opportunity to interact with experienced YFU volunteers from a variety of professional backgrounds
- You will have the chance to try new things
- If you would like to gain international professional experience, you may be offered an opportunity to participate in an international internship
- Your understanding of family dynamics will increase by working with students and hosts
We are seeking volunteers Canada-wide! YFU is growing and needs your
help to reach those places our current volunteers cannot. Even one
person can make a difference!
How Can You Help?
Thousands of volunteers and a small staff make the YFU program happen worldwide. Our
volunteers are young and old, men and women, students and teachers, busy professionals and
retirees. But one thing that ties them together is their drive and motivation for our organization.
Not only will you help others in their YFU experience, but you will also gain at a personal level.
Every YFU Canada volunteer shares their knowledge and abilities in the
best way they can be applied to the program. Positions vary greatly in the amount
of time that they require - from a few hours a year to helping out every day. If you don't see something that
quite fits you, feel free to contact us to discuss the positions in more detail.
It's really up to you to decide how much time you are willing
and able to dedicate to the program.
Each student studying in Canada is assigned one Area Representative to mentor them. Area Reps provide support to international students, recruit and interview host families, and acts as a liaison between the student and the YFU Canada office.
Airport Support Volunteer
Toronto, we need you! Airport volunteers assist YFU students on their way to their new host families in Canada. Usually they're a friendly face welcoming new students in their YFU t-shirts, but may also respond to problems, like lost luggage, missed connecting flights, misplaced travel documents, etc.
Orientation volunteers are on the ground, welcoming brand-new students on their first days in Canada! They conduct and even help plan orientations for inbound or outbound students, host families, and new volunteers using a standard YFU Orientation Manual.
Interview volunteers work with the Outbound Coordinator to screen new applicants. This is a great task for alumni who can answer questions first-hand about their own exchange student experience!
Recruitment and Marketing
Marketing volunteers help the office to recruit students and host families Canada-wide by creating marketing materials, campaigns, and doing presentations about YFU.
Web and Social Media
Social media-savvy volunteers help out with updating the website, web design, content, and managing YFU's social media accounts.
Interested in carrying the YFU message further? We need volunteers who can develop strategies, execute campaigns and work with students, alumni and media to help spread awareness about our scholarships, exchanges and hosting.
Especially at the busiest times of the year, we can always use help with administrative duties and the everyday tasks of the organization. Making calls, typing, filing, gathering information and anything else that needs doing. Also could be called upon for host family and student interviews, or to follow up with alumni and new applicants.
Contact us to learn more, or apply using the form!